- I'm bringing a few more trail meals and more coffee
- I plan to be able to get water from the pond this time around because quite frankly stale snow tastes, well, like stale snow with a smoky additive. I have a sawyer mini so filtering shouldn't be an issue. pond water isn't much better but at least its spring fed and not just a stagnant sitting pool.
- I modded my cookware so there is no longer any plastic handle to melt and I also added a handle to hang it from a tripod
- I'm bringing a holster for my revolver.
- My Marlin 336 will also be coming with now that I know we have wolves in that area. Say what you will about wolves/coyotes leaving you be but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Just a nice piece of mind to keep in camp. The revolver is still my go to for late night hikes for firewood or to hike back to the truck if I forget to lock it or something.
- You either have time or money and right now I have time. What I'm getting at is I have not gotten a new sleeping bag or camp pillow. The solution- I lined my bag with a thick fleece blanket and stole a throw pillow from our bed.
- I still don't have a sleeping pad either so I'm figuring on setting up a sleep platform under the lean to and piling lots of pine boughs under my bag. Anything is better than waking up on an ice hole under the tent.
Heading back out
My vacation isn't quite up yet and my trip a few days ago left me less than satisfied. I got there way to late in the evening and broke camp pretty much as soon as I woke up. Not this time around. I'll be heading out much earlier this time around so I don't have to set camp in the dark. I have a tent in the truck as a back up but the plan is to just set up a tarp lean to. This weekend should be somewhat warm for Wisconsin so well see how that goes. I made a few changes to my loadout.
Posted by Robert Brammer