Got back from another overnighter

Once again I arrived later than I wanted to. This time with about an hour and a half of daylight left. So I hurried down to the site and started gathering deadfall to assemble a lean to and elevated sleep platform. Deadfall was easy to gather for the platform but the two bottom runners would have taken way to long to cut. I ended up using a few un split logs to get above the snow. After I assembled my bed it was time to pitch the tarp. I made a half assed frame for the shelter since it was getting dark. Unfortunately staking out didn't work well in the deep snow. The solution was to bury the back of the tarp with snow then run my guy lines out front. Alright shelter made except the insulation I cut some nice green pine boughs to make my mattress then it was time to get a fire going. Easy enough, one Vaseline cottonball, my firesteel, and some nice dry dead wood. I had planned to get water from the pond this time around but ended up using snow again. I hacked about a foot into the ice of the pond and didn't get to water plus the ice smelled horrible so yeah snow was a safer bet. A nice hot cup of coffee and a chicken teriyaki meal from mountain house was my reward for getting camp set up. After a few hours by the fire my best friend from childhood stopped by with his wife and we had a few brews. Back to camp. I fell asleep in my sleeping bag on the platform, that's not where I woke up. In the morning my bag was soaking wet as were my clothes. Seems the platform wasn't quite wide enough and I rolled off in the middle of the night. Lesson learned for next time. The platform was actually quite comfy up until I rolled off. Next trip out I'll make it a bit wider but will definitely sleep under a tarp again. By around 2 in the afternoon it was time to head home so I broke down camp and headed home to see the wife and kid.
What did I learn
  • An elevated sleep platform is very comfortable but I need to make it about a foot wider so I don't roll off
  • Always have a fall back plan for water and keep a few gallons in the truck just in case I need to head back up. If the snow would have melted I don't think that pond water would've tasted the best. I do carry a sawyer mini but already having a few gallons of water in the truck makes life that much easier.
  • A small pack tends to get messy and unorganized quickly so next trip I'm going to bring my bigger pack. It is a bit "tacticool" but I feel the extra room will help me stay a bit more organized at camp. 
  • The Bahco Laplander does a great job but I need to upgrade my big bow saw to a bahco as well.
  • My little camp hatchet does a good job getting through logs up to around 6"
  • Cedar bark is an awesome flash tinder if you strip it, dry it, and then pull and fluff it
  • My next lean to should use tripods for the ridgepole if there are no trees around.
  • Even though it was in the thirties all night my feet would have still been quite cold without the hand warmers. After I get a new sleeping bag and a sleeping pad this shouldn't be as much of an issue.
  • Mountain House chicken teriyaki and pasta primavera are both pretty damn tasty
     
Any changes in my loadout
  • Start bringing a bigger ss pot. The small Stanley cookware is fine for a cup of coffee but to actually cook food life is much easier thanks to stealing one of the wife's pans.
  • Swap the small canvas pack for my 3 day pack
  • Leave the big bowsaw at home until I replace it with another bahco
  • I picked up some insulated leather work gloves for this trip they were perfect for the task.
  • I also picked up a new holster for my revolver. Much easier than toting it in my hand or trying to fit a 6" barrel in my pocket.
  • I can probably leave the 30/30 at home next time. The wolves were quiet even if the coyotes weren't and the revolver should be more than enough noise to scare them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment