This control will also tell me if harvesting seeds from store bought produce works. In part 2 I'm going to use a cheap commercially available greenhouse and set it up. The whole project with seeds only cost $20.00.
This greenhouse has everything done by the book including potting soil, seed planting depth and packaged seeds.
- Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix
- Window Greenhouse Seed Starter
- Livington Seed- color mix peppers, Hungarian yellow wax pepper, red cherry large heirloom tomato, habanero pepper
- A heating mat
- A digital thermometer
- 2- 6500k daylight fluorescent light bulbs in dome fixtures
- ***These are not listed as grow lights but from what I've read they are just as effective
|Step 1. Fill the tray and lightly pack the |
|Step 2. Label everything. I wrote the number|
of seeds in each cup on top
|Step 3. Use a pair of tweezers and plant the |
seeds to the depth on the package. Water
|Done. Put the cover on and set it under the grow |
lights. If the seeds you planted need more than room
temp to grow put a heaing pad under the container
The one step I didn't do by the book is sprouting seeds. It is a very simple way to make sure the seeds will germinate.
|Sprouting seeds is simple. Wrap the seeds in damp|
paper towel or toilet paper and put them in a
sandwich baggie. Keep the seeds warm either
with a heating mat or set them on a heat vent. Spray
the towel daily to keep it damp and watch for sprouts.
Here's Part 1