Be Prepared


Be Prepared
Be prepared is a phrase I was taught when I was a kid. Its the scout motto and it has served me well. Growing up my parents were not rich and always tried to be ready for the next problem. My dad canned and had a garden so we always had food. Next he started to
buy meat a half a cow at a time so the chest freezer was always stocked. I learned a lot from him, but in our modern society this seems to have slipped from the publics mind. Not sure why.
You don't need a 10 year supply of food that tastes shitty to be prepared. I don't prepare for TEOTWAWKI but I do try to keep a small stash of essentials in the blanket chest in my bedroom. Out of sight out of mind unless you absolutely need it. Watch the sales at the grocery store, its a good time to get double something you would normally get. Remind yourself you're gonna need it anyway. Don't buy shit you don't normally eat or use.
A couple things I try to keep on hand
  • Coffee
  • tobacco and filters
  • few rolls of tp
  • soap
  • deodorant
  • toothpaste
  • dish soap
  • laundry detergent
  • dog food
  • about a week worth of canned goods and "boring snacks" like peanut butter crackers
  • bout $50 in cash
  • 2 cases of water and 40 gallons of water in my water heater as a last resort
  • Batteries
  • Diapers
  • Formula
That's just a few off the top of my head. I don't plan to get a huge stockpile I just like to have a few things on hand. I always seem to forget one of these things at the store or run out in the middle of the week. In addition to this I prepare for the daily pains in the ass. I have my GTFO bag, my toolbox and a few other things in the truck.
Some other stuff to help you be prepared, save a bit of money, and not be so wasteful.
  • Stock up on meat when its on sale and keep your freezer full
  • Blanch and freeze produce don't just let it rot
  • Always start and finish the work week with a full tank of gas
  • Charge your phone while you're asleep
  • Always have a bottle of water with you
Homesteading is definitely not a new thing, it's how America started and became developed. I feel like sometimes people get the wrong idea about it though. Just like every other aspect of survival people tend to get that look like "this guy is crazy he probably wears an aluminum foil hat too." Homesteading is nothing more than trying to be as self sufficient as possible. Growing your own vegetables, raising animals, free energy, eliminating bills, these are all things that interest me and as time and finances allow I've been doing more and more.
From my experience and growing up with a parents who were of the be prepared homesteading mindset I'm gonna try to tell ya a few things about homesteading.
Don't bite off more than you can chew
The first thing I see a lot from forums, reddit, and just talking to people in general is jumping in to fast. Homesteading is just like anything else. You don't go get lost in the woods with just a knife and try to survive without any knowledge. Start off small. Buy a small greenhouse and a few seeds, learn to grow the seeds, harvest the plants and reuse the seeds. It's easier to learn one thing at a time and get it right when your livelihood doesn't depend on it. Raise a few chickens and learn what they need. I could not imagine what a huge pain in the ass it would be to learn everything about being self sufficient overnight.
Don't get into debt
That nice shiny new tractor you saw at a local farm is not the same one you need for a small farm. That nice new truck your buddy just bought, ya don't need it. Keep the expenses to a minimum. It would be cool to have all the nice new equipment but with machines and houses used will get the job done. Hell most of the stuff on a smaller yard can be done withjust a beat up old pickup and a ride on lawn mower. The big idea behind self sufficiency is to have no debt.
 Don't forget prepping skills
Homesteading and prepping are similar in a lot of ways. While I like to know where my vegetables came from I would like to know I have a bunch of canned goods and a full freezer to fall back on if something goes wrong. Water is important too. Pick up some rain barrels to catch the water from the gutters and stock up on bottled drinking water.
Ya don't have to stockpile enough food and ammo to fuel an army. This is all common sense stuff but for whatever reason most of the people I've talked to don't do it.
 You're just trying to keep a few essentials on hand to be prepared for about a week. The next time you wake up and realize there's no shit paper or an unexpected expense drains your check you'll thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment