7 Ways To Beef Up Your Home Security

Don't wait till something bad happens to update your home security system. I'm not talking about an electronic security system although that would be nice. I'm referring to age old tried and true knowledge. I live in a pretty low crime area but I still worry about my wife and kid when I'm not around. The wife can shoot and will shoot but the first step of home security is prevention. Here's a few things you can do to update your home's security.

Dogs
Probably the oldest form of home protection. A dog is gonna hear way more than you ever will. We have two dogs and they always know when someone is here. For the benefits they provide they are one of the best forms of home security. Ya gotta get past my two black haired monsters if ya want in and then you get to deal with me.
Steel Door
When we bought our home the door was falling apart. The wall and door frame were rotted beyond repair due to water damage. So I rebuilt the whole frame of the wall and reinforced everything then installed a new steel door. A steel door alone is not going to fully protect you. I've cut them up and used them for floor pans in trucks before. They are not thick but they are a deterrent.
Deadbolt
A door knob lock is simple to get into with a credit card. It takes a minute tops to break in. This is why they make deadbolts. A deadbolt is not unbreakable but they do help.
Steel reinforcement for your door frame.
You can buy a strip of steel that screws to your door frame into the stud but it is pretty thin. I haven't gotten around to it yet but when I do I'll be using a 1"x1/8"x3' strip of steel to reinforce my door frame. Its not hard to do just notch the door frame 1/8" so the steel sits flush with the frame, then use some big ass screws right into the stud. The reason behind all this is to keep the door from being kicked in.

Barricade Brackets
Pretty simple, screw the brackets to the studs beside the door and stick a 2x4 in it. This is going to greatly reduce your door being kicked in. If someone were to bust a hole through the door they could reach up and knock it out but more than likely they'll give up before that. Barricade brackets are a tried and true way of keeping your home safe even if they are a little unattractive. Double them up and make sure you get the type that you need to slide the 2x4 into not the drop style.
Outdoor lights
Most people at least have a dull porch light to help at night. You can up the ante just a bit by adding lights to the front of your house and the rear in addition to the porch light. I have a bright light by both my front and back door. Bright lights are an excellent deterrent and also let you see if someone is in your yard. The people who live across the street from me have lights everywhere and flood lights on the front of there house. It lights up my yard and it is annoying as hell. They probably wont be the ones getting robbed though. Motion detector lights are also a nice way to catch people creepin up on ya.
Quality Storm door with a dead bolt lock
When I put our new steel door on I also got a good quality storm door. My main reason at the time was aesthetics and to block the elements a bit more. After I installed everything though, I realized the storm door helped to beef up my security. Not the door itself but the deadbolt. You would probably break the handle off the door before you got through the deadbolt but it could easily be unlocked by breaking the window and unlocking it or picking the lock. That is not a problem for me because it acts more as an early warning than anything. The idea is by the time you get that storm door open my dogs will have me up and an intruder would be greeted with my 12 gauge. I don't take kindly to people in my house uninvited.


5 comments:

  1. Hello, I appreciate your writing. It might be straight forward on a thief to break mirror heating elements after which you can obtain during and additionally receptive a fabulous doorknob from the inside. A fabulous gate with the help of mirror heating elements have to be as well fortified, superceded, and / or safe with the help of deadbolts which may only be approved by having a vital. Here are simple tips-
    1) Install the right type of peephole
    2) Add inexpensive door and window alarms
    3) Pin Locks for Double-Hung Windows
    4) Put motion detector lighting anywhere
    5) Install a second patio door lock
    6) Beef up your wooden garage entry door
    7) Add video surveillance, real or fake

    Thanks all~ Sally @Cube Security

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are worried ask a professional locksmith to change your locks and fit a patented system, Security|Alarmtech CCTV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice it seems to be good post... It will get readers engagement on the article since readres engagement plays an vital role in every blog.. i am expecting more updated posts from your hands.

    Home Automation in Chennai
    smart home in Chennai
    Home security in Chennai
    Burglar alarm in Chennai
    Wifi Camera Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. whether you choose the hard-wired kinds installed by security services or the wireless kinds that require a simple DIY planning, Melbourne Security Installers

    ReplyDelete